Monday, April 19, 2010

What have you really been up to Rachel?

So I realized that I haven’t updated you lately about what I’m actually doing here. The posts are more fun and frivolity related. Well…
I was asked by the chapel worship team to teach them English songs. It’s a great opportunity to not only to spend time with students but also to put more songs than just Lord I lift your name on high and Awesome God into their song selection.
Went to a soccer game on Saturday hoping to show the students that I care about them. It was great to see students going out of their way to greet the group of us. It was a great time. Some students that didn't come up to me during the game have come up to me since then just to say hi. It's great.
My two courses have now finished mid-terms. It is a relief to get that over with but also it was a great time to realize what I still need to teach. I’m relooking at the syllabus and making some changes for the future. Assessment is a great tool to find out where to go next.
I am attending Bible Group, which is like Campus Crusade but a European form and solely student lead. It’s great to spend time with students and hear their passion for the Lord.
Sunday I was cornered by the Superintendant. He asked me now for the 3rd time to help with the service. I thought about this and told him that I was willing to preach one Sunday and then he told me that he was putting me on the schedule to lead the service as well. Leading is like being the MC, they're very formal here and everything needs to be introduced before and commented on after. I’m not sure how well I will do seeing that I’m not very fancy at all! He promised that it would all be scripted. I’m thinking it will just be a brief outline, I’ll let you know which Sunday to pray for me.
I’ve been asked by a number of students to tutor them in English. I’m not good at it. I try to explain this to them but they are persistent. Although they soon learn that I’m not being humble, I’m just not good at it. I’ve already had 2 quit on me. Another one asked for my help today. He is very good at English and wants to just discuss topics that he brings. I think I’ll do better at conversational English. He is also from a different university here in Buja so this will be a good opportunity to reach out into the community more.
Today a student that I have gotten to know asked me to help him select a book to read for his English class. I went to the library with him and began perusing the shelf for a novel that was at his level and was short enough that he wouldn’t be discouraged. For not being a reader myself I was surprised at how many books and authors I knew. I felt like an expert selecting books and telling him about them. I then gave him some tips about how to read through a book that is too difficult (I’ve had lots of practice at that). It was great to be working with a student on study skills.
I’ve had this idea about doing a homework help session. I was thinking about sitting in a classroom and allowing students to drop in and ask questions about their homework. Then I was thinking once a month I could give a little “how to” lecture on different study skills for college level. Here are some of the topics I’m thinking about: How to read a textbook, how to study for a test, how to take notes in class, how to write an essay or college paper, how to write a resume, and help I feel too busy. These are things that I know that people in college everywhere struggle with. I know that my students have complained about these topics as well. I just think that this is a need that I might be able to help. Just a thought that is buzzing around in my head, we will see if it goes anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment