Sunday, April 25, 2010

Holding a Baby!!!

I have been told by a Burundian mother that when she is at church she can’t walk 3 steps without someone taking her baby. She told me that this is honoring. Today was my day. In front of me at church was a woman with her two children, girl about 4 months old, boy probably 2. All service these 2 were looking at us and I would play with them, as much as you can when you are trying to listen to the sermon which is being translated into English from French. After service I asked the woman if I could hold her baby. She, as I expected, lifted her child up and put her in my arms. The little girl was shocked but a few bounces and pats on the back put her at ease.
The next service was beginning so I passed back the girl and chatted with a few friends. One was a student from Stephanie’s fluency class. He told me he would translate for me in the next service (Kirundi, Swahili service). I was all in. I followed him in and guess who we were sitting behind again. I tapped her on the shoulder and asked if I could hold her baby again. Oh it was great. Singing songs and holding a tired baby, who fell asleep almost right away. The only drawback was the fact that the extra heat from her made me so, I mean SOOOOOOO sweaty!!! I must have lost at least 8 oz of liquid from the sweat. Then it rained. I’m realizing that right before the rain it is so hot!!! Hmmmm I think I’m getting it.
After church the 4 of us had a great conversation about life!!! I love those conversations that are packed with “what if” or “would you” questions that really matter.

2 comments:

  1. that is one way to lose weight. went to ww and was up 2.8 don't know why but oh well I will keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I was looking around, looking things up on Burundi and I found your blog. I think it is so great that you have been involved with Burundi. I was really excited and shocked! I'm actually Burundian and I have been trying to find ways in which I can also help. If it's not too forward would we be able to exchange emails because I think its really great what you are doing and I would like to hear more about it.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete