Friday, April 16, 2010

Rainy Day

Now don’t get me wrong it rains in Buja all the time but today it rained. The rain normally comes for 5-15 minutes really strong and then it is back to sunshine and hot, humid weather. But today was different. It began to rain. Stephanie and I didn’t change our plans to go to town because we “knew” the rain would stop. I told Steph I was ready to go and she said, “it’s raining.” I looked out the window, stratus clouds filled the sky. It was like I was back in Seattle, a nice, gray, dripping blanket covered the sky. I put on my raincoat and told her I was ready. I had to find an umbrella because a rain coat for hot, sticky Buja wasn’t on Stephanie’s packing list. I wonder why. We wondered out and all the students stared at me. Who is this crazy white girl that is out in the rain without an umbrella? I have not seen one raincoat in my whole time here. It doesn’t help that my coat is bright blue. I love this coat and I love the rain. Before we exited campus I noticed a huge puddle that was screaming, “Jump in me. It will be soooooo much fun!” I was so upset that I was on my way to town and needed to keep my clothing dry. We exited campus and started down the road. The first thing I noticed was the 5 foot wide river that was rushing down the road. Stephanie noticed that there was no one was on the road! This is very strange. We walked about 2 blocks and saw some children and a few men who joined us on the deserted road.
I’m so glad that it isn’t rainy and cold all the time in Buja. One of the girls that was on the street, about 6 years old, only had on a woman’s button up blouse. When I was in town I saw someone selling children’s clothing and I wanted to buy her a shirt and a skirt but I doubt I will see her again. It makes me sad when I look around and see that some people here don’t even have clothing to wear. We continued down to the bus. When we got into town there were fewer people than normal. Stephanie and I decided that if it rains all morning again we will have to travel to town. It’s nice not having to dodge people as much.
So there might not have been many people downtown but there was one woman that we won’t forget. I stopped at a basket full of tangerines to tell Stephanie that they look better than the ones I bought 2 days prior and Stephanie said, “Rachel watch out.” I looked to my left and saw a woman and felt her arm wrap around my waist. I grabbed her wrist and threw her arm off of me. I turned to watch her walk off but she didn’t, she then wrapped her arm around Stephanie’s waist. Now last I checked I don’t keep anything around my waist. Perhaps her reach might have done her more good if she would have gone for a pocket or for a purse or the big package that I was holding but she did look quite drunk. We are not sure if she was or if that was her cover but come on lady I think I would be a better pick pocket and I’ve never tried it before.

1 comment: