Friday, April 16, 2010

Rollercoaster of emotions

It’s hard being a long termer. I thought it would be easier being somewhere for a longer time because I would get to know people and feel stable. But the truth is my heart is ripped out every time a short term person has to leave. I got a call from an American friend today. She is working 2 hours from me here in Burundi. She informed me that she was leaving for America in a week on Wednesday. It took everything within me not to burst out in tears on the phone. I hate it that people have to leave. I remember back to one of my first memories I was probably 3 or 4. We were leaving church. Dad and I had just dropped off mom for choir practice. I remember crying so much. I have always hated leaving no matter how long it is for. This happens with people going to America but also people who are leaving Buja to go to other parts of Burundi or to go to their home in a neighboring country. But I have to put things into perspective I would rather be here in Buja (the capital city) where people come for the airport and to shop than to be in a far off location where no one ever comes. I guess the saying, better to love and lost than to not love at all, is true. I’ll take friends when I can get them but that doesn’t make them leaving any easier.

2 comments:

  1. Jesus knows. Judas left him. All his disciples left him. Peter even left him and denied him. Peter didn't want to be identified with him and wanted to get as far away as possible to save himself. Even God left him. In the moment of greatest need and pain, the Father turned his back and forsook him. All this so that you would never be left or abandoned or forsaken. Jesus got left so that Rachel would never be left. Jesus knows and can identify with you and chose to worship God and do his will even while being left, to blaze the trail for you so that you might trust God and worship him, and do his will even when people are leaving You. And God will never leave you. Put your hope in him and not people.
    Love,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, that last sentence sounds harsh. I didn't mean it that way, as a lecture, but more as an encouragement.
    Love,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete