Friday, April 16, 2010

The package saga

Today I went to the post office for the third time this week. This time I walked out with something more than disappointment. Two weeks ago I received a half sheet of paper from the post office saying that I had a package that was waiting for me because it was deficient funds. I was told that after I pay the initial fee they will most likely ask for more money. Then when I finally get the package it will already be riffled through and the good stuff will all be gone. The advice giver told me that it was probably a lost cause and not worth the time and money. Well I didn’t listen to that advice!
The next morning I was going to go and get the package but I couldn’t find the receipt. So I searched for it. It was hopeless. I went through everything in my room and I don’t have that much stuff! Or that big of a place for things to hide for that matter. The next day I went to the post office without the slip hoping that they would give me the package anyways. I walked in alone. I asked the $100 question, “Do you speak English?” Why do I even ask it they always shake their head no or tell me that they don’t? Most of the time when they tell me they don’t it really means, “I don’t speak it well, but I can get by.” This woman was very nice, as most Burundians I’ve met. She responded, “Not very well.” This was great news! She explained that if it was a big package it was down the road. I was pretty sure that it was a big package. She apologized that it was closed today and I would have to come back later. Then she gave me directions but then in good Burundian fashion she told me that I should come back to her office and she would take me to the place tomorrow. Would that happen in Seattle?
So try #1 down.
The next time I went to the right location. She couldn’t find my name in the book so she told me that I would have to have the paper. Such sad news! Try #2 super disappointing.
I was in my room two nights ago. I was searching for the paper. I really wanted that package. Stephanie came in and offered to help look for it. As I handed her a huge stack of paper I said, “Thanks. I’ve looked through this 3 times but you looking though it won’t hurt.” After she was done with the stack she leaned over and the rolled up poster paper I recently put under my bed caught her eye. She with, a glint in her eye said, “Did you look under the bed?” I told her that I just put the posters down there. She was persistent. She brought out a half sheet of paper. I grabbed it and looked closely at it. I couldn’t believe it! I shouted, “YES!” Then I did a little dance, ok it wasn’t a little dance, it was more of a big dance. 
The next morning I walked into the office. Try #3. It was a different woman this time. She began writing in her book and a man brought out the package. It was beautiful, crushed corner and very dirty yet unopened! My heart leaped. She then asked me for identification! What! Isn’t this Africa. I doubted I needed ID. I don’t like to take anything of value that I don’t need to town. I was so close. I had to walk away and leave my precious package from a dear friend behind. I imagine it’s like when people leave their dog when they go on vacation. I was so sad.
Thursdays and Fridays I don’t like to go to town because I teach class at 2:15 both days. But I couldn’t let my package just sit there all weekend. So, today, Thursday April 15, 2010 I decided to go to town. I wasn’t going to take no for an answer. I was going to bring home what I was going for. It seemed like a waste of 500FBU to take the bus there and back but then I reminded myself that that is only 50 cents and I could pay 50 cents more for this package. Stephanie went with and we stopped at a few dress shops along the way. We are searching for a plain black skirt. It’s amazing how many skirts with patterns we brought. That isn’t the problem; we brought shirts with patterns too. Now the Burundians might wear one pattern on top and a different on bottom and that is fine for them but Stephanie and I have issues with that. We just can’t bring ourselves to do that. So after a few shops we made our way to the post office. I have been there so many times that the old woman I wrote about in the last blog post knows me now. She didn’t ask me for anything today. She initiated hearty, “Miliwe” with a huge smile. That was nice. Maybe there is a reason I had to make so many trips to the post office. This being trip #4 I walked in like I knew the place, because I do. The woman from trip #2 was there to help me this time. I lifted up my slip and said, “I have it this time.” She smiled. I signed the paperwork and she handed me the package. I paid what I owed and walked out. No need for ID grrrr. But I had the package in my possession and I didn’t care. It was raining all morning, which is unusual. So I hid the package under my raincoat. Thanks Kevin! We went to a few more shops as soon as we got home we opened it. It was wonderful!!! A hand written note, pictures of my friends, a newspaper, some magazines, gum, Easter candy, a St. Patrick’s Day napkin (who cares if the holidays have already past, we don’t), crackers, beef jerky, and more amazing things. The package was filled to the max. It was great!!! Not just the stuff but the fact that my friends went to the effort to put it all together. I know they were thinking and praying for me not just while packing but whenever they we wondering if I had received it yet. To know that I being thought of and prayed for is more of a gift than anything! Thanks friends

2 comments:

  1. Yay I am so glad you finally got it...and unopened!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rachel, what a treasure. I'm sure the drawn out anticipation made it that much sweeter to finally hold in it your hands! What a drama to get it though!

    ReplyDelete