Tuesday, March 9, 2010

General Update

March 9, 2010 Tuesday
Wow has it really been a week since my last post. For those of you that don’t know I write my posts on my computer and then when I happen to go to a café or the internet works I post all that I have written. But I haven’t written anything in a week. I’m shocked!
Well let me think what happened?
Ah yes. We moved. The night with the scratching was the night before we moved upstairs. Javier moved into our apt after we vacated it. Just so you know he heard the scratching too. He jumped up and turned on the light. He assures us it was a mouse. He held out his hands to show us how big this “mouse” was. It was huge. I asked him if that was with tail. He stretched his hands larger to include tail length. Gross!!! It was at least 7in including tail. He said that he threw his shoe at it and it scampered under the front door. We had cloth there to deter it but I guess his will to enter our room was stronger than the hold that the rag gave. It’s all good though. The new apt I’m told had a rodent problem a few months ago but they welded a stick of rebar along the bottom of the door to close off the opening and now rodents can’t enter. Good deal.
Another thing that I’m not missing is the lack of mosquitoes up here. There were some the first day but we make sure that we close the door when the sun goes down. We still use the mosquito net at night but it’s really not needed, but I’m not a fan of malaria so sleeping under the net is a must.
We yet to have a two beds but sleeping on a queen bed under a larger net is much better than the double we were on before. They told us that they would deliver one last Friday and it’s Tuesday but this is Africa. We are just waiting. It will be nice to have our own rooms and our own desks for our make shift offices.
It’s also nice to have a fully functional kitchen (as good as it can be, still no mixer).
The day we moved up here we had a birthday party for Javier and Brandon. Tortillas were fun to make and gifts were even better to give. Stephanie and I searched high and low for their gifts and we think we did a pretty good job. Javier’s favorite color is red and he talked about wanting an African shirt. We found one. Brandon is learning how to play Burundian instruments and we found him a corn husk mobile of people playing those instruments. He loved it.





Tuesday last week I started to feel a cold coming on. It was at full strength after my class, nothing like a sore throat and feeling sleepy to brighten a day. I spent most of the week lying in bed, drinking tea and reading Charlotte’s Web. I brought it along with me. I would read two chapters and then fall asleep and then wake up get more tea and read and sleep. Not too bad. Yesterday I did plan my lessons for Thursday’s class. I figured I would need to be prepared to teach even if I wasn’t feeling well.
Not all a bucket of roses! Let me tell you about the evil that is in this apt! I was in the shower the other day. It is wonderfully hot! The shower down stairs has a heater on it but it just takes the chill off. The one upstairs is hot. I reached up my hand and my thumb touched the heater, where the water comes out. Stephanie came running because of the scream I let out. The stupid shower heater shocked me. Now I’m not a scientist but if there are streams of water coming out of something and you are under the streams and are not getting shocked you would think that when you touched the thing that you wouldn’t get shocked but the pain in my thumb speaks against that thought. I’m so confused! I now avoid lifting my hands any higher than my head.
I told you before about Bible Group. This week they are leading chapel. It was so funny entering chapel yesterday and getting on a choir robe with the students. I felt like I was one of the team. It’s so nice to hang out with my peers, even though they don’t know I’m their age. I met a girl Daniella. She is so sweet and fun to hang out with. Her English is great. We played a few games of Uno yesterday and she was telling me all about her family. It’s nice to get to know the students, the reason why I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment