Monday, June 28, 2010

World Cup

There is nothing like watching the world cup, which is being held in Africa, while you are in Africa, surrounded by Africans.
The students have set up a TV in the student’s center and spend all their free time watching the games. The crowds vary from 30-100 people. Anyone on campus knows that a goal has just been made when the eruption of shouts breaks loose.
The best game to watch was the USA vs Ghana game. It was me, a noisy Kenyan, and 2 Ugandans cheering on the USA. The rest of the 100+ people in the room were cheering on the last African team in the World Cup. It was very fun to just be one of the students for a moment. I was cheering just as much as anyone else. I liked that.
At the half I went to my room and brought down a streamer that Jeannie sent to me in a care package. Rainson, the noisy Kenyan, proudly put it around his neck and kept right on cheering.
In the photo the other man is also a Kenyan. His cheering symbol was a green leaf.

1 comment: