Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spiders

I've decided that everything about America is lazy. Or maybe everything here is harder. I have been thinking about this for the past weeks but the spider I saw today takes the cake.
Getting to town you must walk to a bus line in the hot sun. Wait for a bus, because there aren't set times. Once you flag down a bus that isn't full you get on and squish between 4 other sweaty people.
Shopping must be done on a need to eat basis. The college size fridge I have is nice but when the power goes out the poor fridge doesn't stay cold and the meat inside heats up.
There are no Fred Meyer's. Just forget about one stop shopping. There is one shop that almost has everything but prices are through the roof.
Walking around you have to avoid the hot sun, wind blowing at your skirt, dust tornadoes in your face and tripping over rocks or in pot holes.
Just to name a few.
I received a box of Cheerio's the other day!!! Thanks Jeannie. I was so excited. The next morning I was late and thought, cheerio's are fast. I forgot to remember that even a bowl of cereal is difficult here. I had to make the milk. The water I used was warm and the amount of milk I added wasn't right. So my breakfast too more time than I expected and didn't taste that great.
The next day I had put water in the fridge to cool it. Later to find out that the milk powder doesn't dissolve in cold water very well. It again took a lot longer.
The spiders here in Burundi aren't like the lazy spiders in America who spin a web and wait for a fly to get trapped. Flies get trapped in my apartment and congregate on the window screen. The spiders hang out on the screen. It's amazing to watch these hunting spiders. They run over to the fly and grab it. Then they hang on until the meal is finished. No messing for webs and tying up their victims. I was walking up the stairs to my apartment today and saw a spider on the step holding tight to his breakfast. So cool. It just reminds me that even spiders have it difficult in Burundi.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow. Though you may all have it hard in Burundi (spiders not excluded), I'm glad that you don't have to resort to snatching up a living meal and hanging on tight until you're done eating... :-) I hope the warm milk, while truly unappetizing, wasn't fighting you back. ;-)

    Love you Rachel, and we think of you all the time! Hello from all the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete