Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Stinky Fridge Solution

So when I got back from Kibuye my fridge was off. I'm not sure why, the power was on and it was plugged in. Anyway it was off. I'm sure it had been off all week because when I opened the door I was greeted by the most terrible smell of death. At second glance I noticed little yellow colored things crawling out of the freezer compartment (it's a small college style fridge). The hamburger meat that I had purchased a few days before I left now was moving. After thoroughly cleaning the fridge 3 times the smell persisted. I asked around on Facebook and I got many suggestions that I couldn't try but I did try coffee grounds. It was great. The bad smell was taken over by the coffee smell. After three days I figured it was safe. I removed the bowl of coffee grounds. The next day the smell was back; not as strong though.
I had given up on trying to make my nose happy. I went on with life. It has been two days since the "solution" and there isn't the bad smell anymore. Two days ago an onion went into my fridge. That has overpowered the smell beyond belief. I'm sure by the time the onion smell disappears the bad smell will also be gone.
I guess for a fridge you fight stink with stink when there is no baking soda to be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment