Wednesday, July 14, 2010

God Provides, even in the small things

Last week I wanted to have some friends over to my apartment for a pancake feast. Though I was running low on syrup.
I've been told that making syrup is easy but I disagree. I tried it once and failed miserably. So a month ago when a friend
was coming from Kenya I had her bring some. That bottle is almost out, but I felt that I was supposed to have a pancake
feast with these friends of mine. I put it out of my mind, I didn't have enough syrup. The last few days the thought keeps
coming back into my mind, eat pancakes with your friends. I'm not sure why but it does. So this morning I was brainstorming
all the possible toppings I could have on pancakes that isn't syrup. I came to the solution of making a mango or papaya
syrup to top the pancakes, even though I really don't like either. Today the answer. I picked up a package from my aunt and
uncle, and cousins. Inside was pancake syrup!!! From Fred Meyer's no less!!!
I will now be able to have a pancake feast without fear of lacking pancake syrup.
The pictures and hand written card was the ultimate gift! As I was putting the pictures up on the fridge I began to cry. I accept
tears as a part of my life here, those bitter tears that burn as they fill my eye. I can't help it as they stream down my face. I love
it here so much but that doesn't change the fact that I miss my family. As wonderful as my friends here are I know that I will
continue to weep for the lack of family, for those who I love very much and are far away.
Blessings also came in the box. These are things that I could buy here but haven't. Sometimes it's nice not to have to shop for
the things you need.
The last few days I have also been craving honey, inside was a giant bear of honey.
I am almost out of salt, now I don't have to buy any. I now have enough for the rest of my time here.
I was talking to my friends and they were explaining that they want to learn how to bake. Corn bread is at the top of their list of
things to learn. Something about me inviting them over when the bread is in the oven, me forcing them to try this crazy American
food, drink Burundian tea, and spend wonderful time talking and getting to know each other. They say I'm sneaky luring them with
tasty food :) Last night they commented that they wanted to learn how to make cookies. I explained that the chocolate chips
Wouldn't arrive until August when my parents arrive. Today Chocolate chips filled the package!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment