Friday, July 2, 2010

Burundi Independence Day

What is a girl supposed to do on Independence Day? Celebrate her independence and leave the walls of campus! I haven't had ice cream in at least a month so that was my mission. Little did I know that I was in for a day of adventure!
Karen from Spring Arbor just arrived and so I invited her to join me on this ice cream quest. I invited some of my friends to go with as well.
After convincing them to get into the van, with a crazy American behind the wheel, we were off.




We drove to the other side of town, after dropping off one friend. The best ice cream in town was our goal. They were closed. Don't worry I had a back up. We drove almost all the way back to the school. The second one was closed as well. It was now up to the students to direct, Boaz took the lead. On our way down a back street the students pointed out where a friend lived. We called him up and two minutes later he had joined the adventure.
As my dad always says, third time's a charm.
It was funny to watch these Burundians eat ice cream cones. They were trying to be so proper but they didn't have the right technique; melted ice cream dripped down the cones and all over their hands. I gave a quick lesson on eating an ice cream cone. I reassured them that eating a cone is survival of the fittest in the states because if a child isn't fast enough a dad will eat half their cone in the name of "helping".
I was having too much fun eating my cone I forgot to take photos. Here is one of us with happy taste buds.



We couldn't stop there. The adventure had just begun. We decided to go to the lake. On our way we came to a large round about. The boys joked about going around it 3 times. Not something to joke about. I did it.




We didn't stop at the lake, we just kept driving. We were rocking out to the radio. Hope Africa University's station. We called in and requested a song. All of our names were said on the radio!
We finally made it to the Ruzizi River. We parked and walked to the bridge.















After about an hour and half of enjoyment we left our independence day adventure and drove back to the HAU.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like so much fun! What a great opportunity to get out and have FUN!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete