Thursday, February 25, 2010

First week of classes down, just call me teacher

Feb 19 Friday
Friday’s class did not go as well as day one. The projector I thought about using didn’t work so we huddled around my computer screen. I gave a long lecture on the history of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders (being the topic of the class). I got many confused looks. The wind was blowing and then the rain began to pound. We quickly shut the huge windows. The noise was only muffled slightly. I was too distracted by the noise to remember that there were puzzled looks staring at me. I went on. After the rain stopped I saw the looks again. I began to ask questions. I wanted to know where I had gone off course. Together we figured it out. The word behavior wasn’t translatable. We then dove into a great conversation about what behavior is and what are the motivators of people’s behavior and what are the outcomes later in life. I wanted them to see the need for behavior education. The discussion went to the costs that poor behaviors have on society. It was a great discussion. Confusion, tamed.
Alligator Alley was the dinner location, not really the name but it’s what I call it. We ate right on the lake. Barb said that before the fence was put up crocodiles would come up on the beach right where our table was. Unfortunately we only saw one hippo way out in the lake. It was so nice to watch the sun set behind the Congo Mountains.
On the way out Javier spotted a hippo, well he thought it was either a hippo or a large rock. Wayne turned around. There were 4 hippos just hanging out on in the grass along the side of the road. We are told that hippos will come up out of the water around 4pm and feed. What a sight! The one closest to us was HUGE! We tried to take pictures but it was too dark.

Saturday Feb 20
I felt trapped. The man from Holland brought us some magazines. We took to those like mosquitoes to my ankles. Burundi is shut down until 10:30am every Saturday. But finally the time came to leave HAU. We hopped on a bus, met Brandon and made our way to the lake. It’s nice to have a lake so close, I feel like I’m home. In Kent I had Meridian, in Renton I had Washington and in Buja I have Tanganyika.
We took a taxi to the lake, worth mentioning only because it was a first.
At the lake I felt like I was walking up to a guard house in California. We entered and I was in America for sure. There were swim benches that had pillows nicely arranged all in blue, gray and white. The pool was in front of us and past that the lake, complete with 2 jet skis and a speed boat. (yes you read that right)
As we were reclining on the couches, surfing the web and eating our pizza Stephanie looked at me. She had a look in her eye. I said, “yes?” She then reminded us that the couch and table in front of us which we were using was larger than our living room at HAU. We all had a good laugh.
Walking along the beach was nice too.
Dinner plans were with a Burundian and his wife that I had met in the states. When he saw me he said, “Seattle! Welcome to Burundi.” They had all of us over, 20-30 of us. It was great. The table was full of Burundian dishes. The women were all bringing a gift for his wife. When we met in Seattle they told me all about their children. In Burundian culture children are very important. I took my game of Uno for their girls. They were very excited. The man told me that I would need to come back and teach the girls how to play. I’m all in!!! His wife also invited me to come to her work, again I’m all in.
Sunday Feb 21
I feel like I was hit by a truck. I knew I needed more sleep. After church an afternoon nap helped that.
We went to an English/French service. It was so nice to be fed in my own language. We sang Lord I life your name on high. It was nice. I was feeling homesick, not sure if it was all the English or if I just was at that point. The message was given by Bishop Elie. He is an excellent preacher! He spoke from Jeremiah. The Israelites were discouraged because of their captivity. God met them where they were. He told them to keep serving him. I was so encouraged.
I’m so surprised at how just seeing Americans and talking to them makes me feel better. We were seated in front of 3 white girls. We exchanged numbers. One asked us if we blogged yesterday. Now I know how Brandon feels when I know about a story he has posted. We had to call Brandon and let him know.
Stephanie and I decided to join the Matthewsons for a second service at another church, where I went for the first Sunday. I sat next to the man who translated for me before. I was getting hot and I almost fainted. To avoid a scene I got up and left. On my way out Randy asked me if I was ok. I managed to say, “no”. It’s amazing what some shade and a cool breeze will do.
After service we had lunch in the Student Center. Pineapple, so good.

Cravings.
It’s amazing the things that we are craving.
Ritz, chocolate covered coffee beans, ice cream, peanut butter, 7-11 slurpees, frapaccinos, deli meat, yogurt that doesn’t taste like rotten milk, cottage cheese, an apple my friends, strawberries, cherries. Other things too, a pair of scissors, markers, red pens, not having to feel guilty about making copies or use paper knowing that at any moment there might be a shortage. We are done thinking about such things. It can’t healthy.

Stephanie noted that we have made it past most American’s mission trips experiences. We gave each other an air high five. Javier isn’t impressed, he wants to note that he is not a missionary and says that his is just on vacation.

4 comments:

  1. the yogurt in a bag??? it gets better in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Ballard,
    I love your blog. It must be therapeutic to record your amazing experience!

    I'm praying for you and forwarding your blog to others. God bless you!
    -Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy those spacious couches at the lake... :-) I'm so proud of you, Professor Rachel! I love to hear the details of how you're teaching your students- and stretching them immensely, too, I'm sure! Imagine, in a few years these 10 students will be out in schools sharing the new perspective they've gained from you and influencing other teachers and a new generation in Burundi. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talked to you mom and sister Monday night, they got me caught up some. Glad to read how you're doing.

    ReplyDelete