Saturday, February 20, 2010

Update #3

February 17 Wednesday
So it has been 2 weeks, wow! I think about people that go on two week long mission trips and it changes their lives, well I don’t feel changed. Still super social, will cry at anything resembling pain and sorrow, likes to know what to expect, and desperately needs quiet time alone to recharge. It has been two weeks non stop with Stephanie and Javier. Nothing against them but I needed a break. And I got one today.
Friday Barb came over and said, “You want to go up country, we leave in 2 hours.” She had suspicion and joy in her eyes, like a little girl that is scheming to do something wonderful. We were all in. We called Brandon and he was happy to come along for the adventure.
We went to Kibuye (where Frank and Carol Ogden’s house is). The house is like the ones that my parents rent down at the ocean. First thing I noticed was the lack of mosquito nets over the beds, what a treat. The next was the picture of Mt Rainier over the head board. I was home. Traveling up the mountain was just gorgeous! There is no way to describe how the banana trees, red dirt, rivers, meadows and an assortment of other tree vegetation looked under the blue sky. I took pictures but they don’t do it justice either. The air was different too. I first noticed the cool temperature, and then I realized I wasn’t sticky anymore. When we go there I went and put on pants and my SPU sweatshirt, things I brought for my upcountry trips.
The people walking along the road (there were tons of them) were very friendly as we passed by them in our van. They would wave and say, “Muzungu, muzungu.” The women and some men were carrying things on their head, a bundle of sticks that were six feet long, a pot full of soup or some dish, huge bundles of banana and other assortments of items. The boys with bicycles were hauling things as well. Going up the hills they would be off their bikes pushing them up the hill. Each bike was weighted down by two giant bags on either side of the rear wheel and a third on the rack sitting over the wheel. Some cases the sacks were replaced by bananas that were tied on. Either case they were heavy loads. When the road would turn to down hill the boys would sit side saddle with both feet perched on the middle bar of the bike. I believe this was so at any point in time they would be able to abort the mission if their wheel hit a rock or hole while they were barreling down the hills at 50mph. Remember no helmet and no shoes.
The weekend consisted of playing games, cooking meals, planning my course work and just hanging out. Brandon was happy to have some American food. I got to cook some of my favorite foods. I made macaroni and cheese, pizza, and grilled cheese.
Side note on the pizza. I was mixing up the dough without a recipe and without measuring cups. I poured the water into the bowl and Barb said, you know there are measuring cups here. I looked at the bowl and said well doesn’t this look close enough to a cup? She had to check. She poured the bowl’s contents into the cup measure and it hit one cup on the line directly. It was a perfect guess. Wow that is a once in a lifetime happening. (Mom you taught me well)
While there we went on a tour of the complex, the new dorms, where they make the Busoma (what we eat for breakfast), and the hospital. I always knew I didn’t do blood but hospitals have never been a problem for me. In the US they are very discreet and sanitary. Well as they say, This is Africa. I was overcome by such sorrow and felt so much pain for these people. Their situation of needing assistance is the same as the US but their use of pain killers is totally different. The woman’s ward was fine, most were very discreet about their wounds and their bodies (as is culture). Their pain was set aside while their hospitality shined though. The room was packed with beds and the halls were makeshift overflow. The men’s ward was, well...functional. The men were up walking around carrying their own catheter bags, propping up their wounded limbs with bandages showing the stains of draining wounds. Their eyes intently fixed on us. No words filled their mouths. I just wanted to leave. I kept telling myself that it wasn’t cultural, it was hospital that I didn’t like. We were only in the men’s ward for about 5 min but I was happy when we left. We then made our way to the maternity ward. Barb said something about holding babies and that was going to be the redeeming factor but alas. When we go to the ward the babies were all nursing or the mothers were eating. It was not the time to say, hey I don’t know you and I’m not from here. Can I hold your baby that was born yesterday? They were cute though. Most of them had thick curly hair almost covering their heads. When I left Amy still didn’t have much hair and she was weeks old.
For church on Sunday Barb and Wayne took us to Mt Hope. This is where the Sister Connections new building is. It is almost complete and looks nice. We found a spot in the shade overlooking the valley and next “mountain” really a hill. With grass on top I can’t knowingly call it a mountain. We shared lunch and then Wayne lead us in a devotion. We shared about our experiences. We closed in prayer and I found myself in tears. Stephanie linked her arm in mine and leaned on me. I wasn’t the only one with tears in my eyes. It was a good long prayer and a great time to just be honest with the Lord, which is hard to do with the constant sounds and people that are around at all times. I need to work on being more intentional.
Monday I figured out my classes, Tuesday I figured out that one was a different course than I was told. So I had asked lots of questions to make sure that I was teaching the correct course.
Tuesday I had a bad spell of homesickness. I went into the bedroom and curled up on the quilt my mom made me before I left. Stephanie came in after a while and she asked me if I was ok. My eyes were stinging from the tear, my quilt hadn’t retained the smell of my mom and all I could muster was, “I want to go home.” Stephanie sat down next to me on the bed and prayed for me. After I pulled out my bible and read about the resurrection of Christ. I had pulled myself together and was going to enter the living room when I heard a car drive up. I looked out the window and saw Brandon getting out. Timing was good.
Talking to Brandon is nice because we have the Seattle connection, something simple but really nice.
We decided that we should go to town. This was a great distraction for me, still in my melancholy state. Brandon showed us how to ride the bus. There are mini buses and big buses. Because we are so far away from city center we ride the big buses. It was really easy. There are no set stops, standing on the street and raising your index finger will stop the bus. The driver’s only job is to drive. There is another man who is in charge of directing passengers on and off the bus along with taking money and get this, making change! When you want to get off you just raise your hand for a brief moment and they will stop. The seats are two on the right side and one on the left with a jump seat in the isle that flaps down when needed. Once the bus starts to fill up, people pile in. If you were counting it should be 4 across once the jump seat is used but you would be mistaken, it’s 5 across. Twisting your torso and hips and scooting as close as possible to the sweaty person next to you will allow for that 5th person to join your row. It’s not as bad as you would think, remember everyone is sweaty, even you.
I woke up at about 1 in the morning. I couldn’t fall back asleep. I thought about it being 3pm back home. I couldn’t stop myself. I got out the laptop and internet. I went into the kitchen and closed the door so Stephanie wouldn’t be woken up. I was going to check my email but instead I went right to skype. Mom was right there. What a blessing getting to chat with my parents in real time. It was the first time in 2 weeks, too long. The option of calling home had come my way but I knew I would only waste the time crying. I was surprised at how calming it was to see and talk with them. I was at peace yet again. The time card ran out of minutes and so we were cut short but I could go to sleep. It’s amazing how 30 min with family changes my whole outlook.
Wednesday I was alone. Stephanie and Javier were working on something with Bob and so I had all morning to myself. I finished both of my syllabi today!!! Then we all went to chapel. New profs were introduced. The students clapped for the three of us. I’m going to like all the African music during chapel.
Then we went out with Robyn and Brandon, again downtown. A cheeseburger for dinner. There was a tv playing music videos above us. It was American Gospel. After much time Israel Houghton came on. (Dr. Newby it was great! Can’t escape good gospel.)
Good day!!!
Feb. 18 FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
Thought yesterday was good…but it has totally been surpassed! Today was the first day of classes and Alice and Randy were back from Congo!!! Two very good things.
This morning I woke up to make sure I was able to maximize my time with them. After much time waiting for this and that I decided that I should find out where my classes were. Today’s was E31 and tomorrow’s A1. A1 was easy. E31 was impossible to find. After much searching and questioning I found out that E31 is in the new building that is under construction. Classrooms 1-26 are ready but 27 and higher “will be ready someday” to quote a Burundian I asked. Finding a new room was an easy fix once we figured out that the classroom didn’t exist, yet. C1 it is.
After things were settled Stephanie and I went out with Alice and Randy along with a couple from Florida. We downtown and we split. Stephanie, the wife from Florida and I split off and went to the auto store. I wanted to chat with the owner’s wife again. It was great. I love knowing people and having friends!!! I’m starting to belong, no longer a visitor.
We then went to a craft shop in south Buja. It was full of well made purses, bags, clothing, and toys. I spent much time debating which purse to pick. I got a really cute one for 10 bucks. I hope it lasts because it’s really cute. It’s green and brown with a large cream button as the clasp. (Sarah you would be proud of me, no bows )
After a great cheeseburger, lots of garlic, at an Italian restaurant (yes you read right) we hurried back to HAU for my 2:15 class.
I said hi to Brandon and Javier, grabbed my books and left for class. It was amazing!!! I have 10 students. They are used to listening to the professor, taking notes and taking an exam. I blew their minds. I had them first thing sit in groups and introduce themselves. We then made a KWL. Then I had them silent write about what they already knew about language. Then we made a class list. Then I had them silent write about questions they wanted to know about language. It was challenging to restate what I wanted them to do 4 different ways before they understood. I think they understood the first time but they were so shocked at what I was asking that they were sure they didn’t understand. It was great to take their questions. I didn’t answer them right there but told them I would work it into the class. Some questions were as simple as, “how can you teach a blind person how to read.” Others will take some research on my part. It’s all part of the perpetual learning experience that is life.
I then moved from that mind bending activity to having them draw pictures about their lives. And then presenting them to the class. And I thought the first task was hard. I’m glad I didn’t start with the drawing!
After break time I lectured about the process of learning (input, metacognition, and output). I had them tell me ways to teach to each of the 5 senses. This was difficult for them to think outside the box, but we managed. They seemed to really enjoy the lecture part. Not my style but they were really into it and asked really great questions. I would begin to answer and a few times while I was answering I paused my train of thought to listen to my answer. I was impressed. One time I remember thinking, “way to go Rachel you were listening in class, you did learn something.” A good feeling.
The last activity was a huge jump for them. I split them in pairs and gave each group a vocab word. I wanted them to act out the word in front of the class. Oh my! I went to each group and explained the assignment and answered questions. It’s really nice that they aren’t afraid to ask questions for clarification.
I explained the syllabus and class was over.
What a great feeling, I can do what I have been asked to do! I’m teaching a college course! Wow (Dad are you proud of me, I know you are. Thanks for always supporting me) Tomorrow’s class is the same 10 students, I’m excited to have them for 2 days a week and not just one. They’re a great group. I’m excited to see them in 4 months.
Dinner in the student center tonight, real Burundian food.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,

    You're making **everyone** in Kent proud. It is starting to affect you, though. You are starting to say "as well" like my co-workers from India. God bless you as you open their eyes to new ways of reaching students.

    Mr. MacDonald

    ReplyDelete