Saturday, February 13, 2010

Update #2

Feb. 7 Sunday

I have not felt like I’m in Africa up to this morning. Church defiantly made me realize I was defiantly in Africa. We walked into a covered area filled with black faces. I understood only about 2 words the whole service. Barb and Wayne Vibbert were so nice to make sure that we each had our own translator. The man translating for me didn’t translate the words but the main concept of the whole phrase. I appreciated that. The pastor would speak for a good 5 min. My translator would then lean over to me. He would say something like, “It’s like Paul and Silas when then were in jail and their chains fell off.” That is it. I understand the whole story; he doesn’t need to go into great detail such as the pastor did. Javier and Stephanie’s translator were student or previous students of HAU and so they accurately translate every word.

I felt like I was in my gospel choir class during the singing. It was a moment that I felt at home?

After lunch we sat in our living room and Stephanie and Javier took turns reading out loud “The Life of Pi”. Javier brought it with him and wanted to read it. Stephanie thought that we should read out loud to each other. She said that her parents do that and it makes her feel at home. After this we will go to an English church service at 4:00pm. We are excited to meet other young people. It’s amazing how much we miss others that are our own age. The missionaries are now calling us “the kids”.

We are still waiting for contact from Brandon and Robyn. It will be so good to learn about Burundi from those who have learned about Burundi through young American eyes.
We went to the 4:00 service with Bob and Laurie. It’s an English service and we were hoping to find other young people. Well we didn’t, we saw Rebecca and Paul instead. They are the missionaries that work with Brandon and Robyn. I have seen them in pictures and read part of their blog before I came. I walked right up to Rebecca and asked if she worked with Brandon and Robyn. She confirmed and I was glad. Paul walked over to us and said, here let me call Brandon right now. Wow not what I was expecting. Brandon and I set up a visit for the next day.

In the evening we went to a devotions time with Bishop Bates leading.


Feb. 8 Monday

The trouble with jet lag is that because time is so different our bodies wake up early 4am or so and are tired at about 3pm. The Muslim call to prayer is at about 4-4:30 every morning. This consists of someone singing or playing music, I’m not sure which yet, over a mega phone. I was laying there in bed trying to process this last week. It was hard I kept thinking, just get up and blog about it. It will make you feel better. But then the call to prayer started. I knew at that moment that I needed to have a serious chat with the Lord. I am impressed by the Muslim devotion to prayer, I lack that discipline. I have always found much comfort from reading my Bible. It’s truths about who God is and who he designed me to be has carried me through many struggles and also pleasant times. I didn’t want to wake Stephanie so I took my Bible and took a walk. I wanted to look over the land so I went up to the 3rd floor apt. I took a chair from the balcony; sat down and cracked open my Bible. I’m not sure why I thought that I would be able to read it in the dark but I was very disappointed that I couldn’t see the words. I sat for a while my prayers were interspersed with song and tears. I was doing just fine until I began to think about the sun. I wanted to sing the song from Gospel Choir about the sun but couldn’t think of the words or the tune. I forced my brain to think, it came out, “The sun cannot compare to the glory of your love. There is no shadow in your presence.” Tears filled my eyes. I miss my friends at Gospel Choir. I miss that spiritual support that Dr. Newby so freely gives. I kept singing. The truth that was leaving my mouth filled my ears and reminded me of my desire, to honor the Lord. That is why I am here. The sun had risen enough so that I was able to read. John 14 was so encouraging. Thank you Lord.

Later I met with the Rector, Bishop Elie. He told me I would be teaching 2 classes. I will learn more info from the Vice Rector when I meet him on Tuesday. The first class is about LD which I’m all good with. I was telling La Charity about the classes and told her I was comfortable teaching that course because I had an LD. She was completely shocked. She kept saying, “You have a BA. How?” I am a testimony that people with LD’s are smart and can succeed. Way to go me, ya right. The other course is something about language development, not confident at all. I will need to study up. Truth is, I only have to be one course ahead of them. Isn’t that right?

We then got the call from Brandon!!! We met him out on the street about a 10 min walk from HAU. It’s nice to know that I can wonder for about 15-20 min away from campus now and still know where I am; at least in the direction of town. It was really awkward meeting him because not only were there many Africans staring (that is the norm for us) but because we were all Americans we didn’t feel this great need to greet each other with a handshake (which is how you greet everyone here). We did the meet and greet thing and then we were off to HAU (mini SPU as I call it). I told Brandon my nickname for HAU and he didn’t seem to believe me until we got to campus. He agreed then.

He was surprised to see all the tall buildings and the large complex. I saw many pictures before I came so I knew what to expect.

We brought him into our apt. and I got out the Trader Joe’s peppermint oreo type cookies. He was very grateful. He lives with Burundians and eats what they eat. It felt like we were in college, just hanging out getting to know each other. We then went to Bob’s to look at the movie selection and Laurie had out cookies. Again Brandon was thrilled. Besides sleeping the three of us have been together non stop since last Tuesday when this journey began. It was nice to have Brandon there to mix it up.

Alice and Randy came from Congo today and took us out for dinner; pizza at the Oasis Restaurant, Brandon joined us. It was so nice to be with Alice and Randy. They have been my superheroes my entire life. I remember back when I was in preschool at Warm Beach Camp when they came to our class to talk about their life in Zaire. Alice would make us all grab our ear and said together, “Zaire”. When I was older I remember going to their house at WBC and eating watermelon. Their house butted up to a canyon. There was a tree in the canyon that they would throw the watermelon skin at. I was too small and could never get mine anywhere close to the tree.

As Stephanie and I put the mosquito net around us before bed we were both encouraged by our great day.

One week gone.


Feb 9 Tuesday

Praise the Lord for Facebook chat. Stephanie was checking her Facebook and told me that Sarah was on. I was so excited. It was nice to just chat with my sister. I didn’t feel like I was far away. We often chatted on Facebook when we were on opposite sides of Washington state going to our respective colleges. It felt very normal. It was great to hear, not the important updates but just the in and out of her life. Time was not wasted when she told me about the clothing she just purchased or the people she was hanging out with. It’s life. One of my biggest fears in coming was missing out on her life. With technology being what it is I don’t have to miss out on life, the life of those I love.

Even though Sarah I miss you.

Today was the day to meet with the Vice Rector about my course. I asked all my questions and got very few answers. He said that he would have the answers later in the week.

Stephanie and I decided that it was a beautiful day and we wanted to go for a walk. We went to visit Alice instead. It was wonderful, just us girls. Alice is great, did I mention that earlier? If so it’s ok that I’m mentioning it again.

Randy came back and we all went to the house the Vibberts are house sitting at. We had pizza, yes again. And it was just as good. Before the pizza came out Barb brought out a plate of hot rolls. They looked like my mom’s rolls. They weren’t but they tasted so good.

The Matthewson’s were going into town to do some shopping and the Vibberts were going to stay and hang out at the house. The plan was for the three of us to stay but I wanted to hang out with Randy and Alice all I could before they went back to Congo. It was wonderful. It was my first time out without the other two. Don’t get me wrong I love hanging out with them but for a week straight I haven’t been separated from them at all.

We went to an auto parts store. Randy’s goal was to get a new part. Alice’s goal was to continue to cultivate a friendship with the owner’s wife. I never thought I would be sitting amongst car parts in the heat drinking hot office with a Greek woman in Burundi, Africa. But that is where I found myself.

After an hour or two Alice and I got up and went down the street. She had another person to visit. I’m so impressed. Burundi is not Alice’s area and Kurundi is not her language yet she has influence in people’s lives. This woman is amazing. I am taking notes.

The bathtub was next on the agenda. Randy wasn’t sure if it would fit in the car so I assured him that I would ride in the bathtub if I needed to. He said that he wanted to put it on top of the car. I reassured him that even on top of the car I would ride in the bathtub. (mom I was only joking) The bathtub did fit inside and I did not get to ride in it. Alice and Randy have been showering with a bucket and so this bathtub is a big deal for them.

Dinner was fried fish out of Lake Tanganyika; a white fish that was very moist. It was served with French fries and green beans. (yes Sarah lots of green beans here I know you are jealous)

We were all very tired and thought that it was a good time to watch a movie. “Never been Kissed” was the selection. Then off to bed.


Feb 10 Wednesday

I just have to say that Frank Ogden is a generous! A thermos full of his hot cereal (busoma, I think that’s how you spell it) was delivered. It is wonderful! He created it for the hospital so that those with malnutrition could have a good, inexpensive meal. I just think it’s pretty tasty and great for breakfast. It tastes sweet like corn and it a little gritty like cream of wheat. But it is liquidier than that. You will just have to come to Burundi and try it for yourself.

More hanging out with the Matthewsons today. Randy couldn’t have come at a better time. He is very good at giving hugs. Most of them are side hugs but his gentle spirit and fatherly looks make me feel at home. (Daddy I miss you) Randy and Alice go back tomorrow so I’m soaking up all the time with them I can get.

We had lunch with one of Alice’s friends. She took us to a café. She ordered the same thing for all of us, the house special. It was my first experience eating traditional Burundian food. It was so good. The plate had a mound of rice (better than in the states), two slices of tomato, a mound of sliced onion (I really mean a mound!), and a few pieces of meat in a gravy. The gravy was my favorite part, it was soooooo good.

Other errands needed to be run and Stephanie and I were along for the ride. We finished our time together with a trip to the Catholic market. We have been there once before (mom and dad I’m taking you there first thing when you arrive) I feel like I’m in Hello Dolly at the general store. There is a tall counter and a clerk waiting to take your order. All the merchandise is on shelves behind them. My favorite part about this market is that the prices are posted. I don’t have to worry about them ripping me off because I’m white. If I was being honest my favorite part would be (Philip are you listening?) the ice cream. Yes I said it. It is served in scoops just like Baskin and Robbins. The cones are smaller and the scoops are too but I was surprised at the price. The last time we went the Vibbert’s purchased it but this time I was treating. It was about $2.50 US for all four of us. Randy and Alice had what looked like a vanilla with fruit. They both didn’t know what it was but said it was good. Last time I had the vanilla this time there was cookies and cream. Stephanie and I had a scoop of that. My second scoop (2 scoops is equivalent to 1 scoop back home) I had cinnamon. The cinnamon was my favorite. The ice cream is watery so there are many ice crystals but it’s cold and sweet. For Pete’s sake it’s ice cream in Africa. I’m all in.

Another good day.


Feb 11 Thursday

It’s Thursday morning and I’m thinking over yesterday and the week. I need to explain something. If you have been reading this and wonder why I have been “hanging out” instead of “working” (dad I know you have that thought) I will tell you. Last week we arrived and it was the end of Jan term. This week is orientation for the new students. There are 1,000 new students on campus. Next week classes start. We are using this time to prepare classes and get accustom to life here. Much of my days are spent pondering my course assignments and feeling overwhelmed by the task before me. Yesterday Randy asked me how things were going and I honestly told him I was overwhelmed. He looked at me and told me that I would do a great job. I wanted to cry. To have someone that believes in me even when I don’t is such a blessing.
I’m very excited for this afternoon. We are going with the Vibberts to the deaf school! When we were at Club Du Loc they introduced me to this American couple who run/work at the deaf school. (I’m always amazed at how Americans find Americans here. It’s like in high school when all the ethnic kids sit together for lunch. Now I’m the ethnic kid) I chatted with them about the 2 deaf schools that I heard about. I was told that this one uses American Sign Language and the other one doesn’t use any formal sign. I guess the children make it up as they go. Wow. The woman did say that some students stay on campus and so I will be able to meet them. I’m so excited, you don’t even know.

After lunch (toasted cheese sandwiches with ham, avocado and tomato) we decided to go on a walk. We (the tree of us) decided that we were spreading cultural awareness (there are white people around). Javier thinks it’s pretty funny that here he is white; he wonders if there has ever been a Mexican in Burundi before. (if you know of someone then let us know). I figured out that the sun, even though it is high in the sky, can burn you. We left for our 45mini walk at 12:30. Not the smartest thing we’ve done so far. Only for me though. Javier being Mexican doesn’t burn and Stephanie being from eastern Washington didn’t either. To my defense I didn’t know what time it was, and it was going to be a short walk (I didn’t take my ankle brace, yes mom it still hurts). Here in Burundi all the children leave school to go home to eat. There were children everywhere! They were so cute. They are learning English in primary school now. Two little ones were sitting on the back of a bike. (There is a rack over the rear tire; some bikes have put padding there. This is where riders sit. Bike Taxi if you will.) These two looked at us and said, “Hello”. It was so cute. Later another group was gathered. One brave one said, “Hello”. I responded back, “hello, how are you”. They, in chorus said, “We are fine, how are you”. We could tell that it was a textbook response, practiced over and over in school. But it was cute.

When we were almost home, after we had made it though the heard of cattle with 2 foot long horns, we passed a school. The children began to run at us. There were at least 30 of them. They all wanted to say hello and practice their textbook English. I wanted to stay forever and chat with them. I miss hanging out with children. Javier and Stephanie kept walking so I had to hurry and meet them. I didn’t want to leave. I loved being with them. Their joy was contagious. I like being joyful.
Sometime was spent with the Vibberts gleaning advice about teaching courses at the university. This was very helpful for my planning. As time marched on I became more and more excited. I couldn’t help myself I didn’t want to be at the house overlooking the lake. I waned to be at the school for the deaf.

We finally went. It’s only 30min walking from HAU. If you can’t find me you know where I will be ?. The whole campus was beautiful. There is a tall wall around it. The campus includes Jesse and Joy’s house (dad it’s an octagon! I’ll take you there when you come), guest houses, a workshop, the school for the deaf, a preschool, a clinic, and a bible school. We started the tour and for me it almost got cut short. We entered the school for the deaf and all the students that board there came out to see the visitors, about 20-30 of them. They began to ask Jesse questions. I caught the attention of a young face down in front, I signed, “How are you”. He smiled but didn’t respond. Flapping hands gathered my attention from the back of the pack. It was an older boy. He began asking me where I was from and where I learned sign. Then an older girl was waving. She wanted to know the names of all the people with us. My finger spelling got some practice as I pointed out every person in our group. I was surprised that there were very few signs I didn’t know. Syntax was the same. I found some friends. My group had left the school and I didn’t want to get lost but I wanted to stay. The students taught me a few signs and as I left I told them I would see them later. As I was walking away more waving hangs. They wanted to know the meaning of “LATER”. I explained that it wasn’t in the past or present but in the future. I was teaching. ? It felt so good to be teaching and encouraging. The textbooks that I have been poring over just don’t do it.

We spent much time in the preschool. It looked like it does in the states, just more primitive. Joy was explaining how this is nothing like it is in the government schools (public schools). She said that all the teacher does is talk and write on the board. The students learn to repeat back the words. There is not much learning just parroting. She said that it took quite a bit of work convincing the Burundian teachers working at the school to break out of that style. Using manipulative, having students use play to learn, sitting in groups, and having a reading corner are unheard of. It’s amazing that the whole school system teaches using only one learning style, listening and reciting. This country doesn’t need special education, they need varied education. Well they need special education too but there will be less in special education if there was a more varied teaching style.

I now know how to teach my college students, using different styles. I need to set an example. Not that I wouldn’t anyway. I get bored with only one style of teaching.
Dinner was good, tacos. The tortillas were more like elephant ears than tortillas. I believe that they were a yeast bread. Then we were served donuts! I know donuts! I love being the visitor. I’m soaking it up while I can.

Jesse and Joy have two American’s living with them, Jonathan and Danielle. Danielle is working at the school and Jonathan is doing something in town, I can’t remember. They are our age. It’s nice to chat with younger people.

Stephanie and I had girl time when we got back, played a little Banana Grams and then off to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting...it's great to follow along.. .although to be fair I'm skimming like crib notes! LOL

    So you mention "To have someone that believes in me even when I don’t is such a blessing." do you believe you are there for a reason, we all do, and God must as well. Have faith, believe in yourself, it is not an accident that you are there... you serve a purpose even if you don't see it yet... believe it because it was written long before you were born. ;) and hang in there and keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete