Sunday, February 7, 2010

First 4 days

Sorry it has taken so long to post something...this is Africa. I have to keep reminding myself of that, most of the time I don't feel like I'm in Africa at all. But I am. I've been journaling on my computer during the week and now I will post it all for you. :)

Feb 2.
The journey started with a sweet reunion at the airport. We entered and saw Stephanie and her family across the way. It was wonderful. It had been too long since we got to see each other. Phone and email conversations just aren't the same.
We sat that the airport and waited for Javier. It was nice to have family there but it was weird not really interacting but nice just being in one another's presence, I already miss that.
Walking though security was the hardest thing I have ever done. My eyes burned with the salty tears. My mother's face I'm sure was a mirror to my own, wet and sad. Dad, Adam and Sarah stood back out of sight, but I knew they were there. I told the man checking my passport that I was sorry for my tears. He said he was used to it. That reminded me that I was not the first to go far away and certainly the last.
Once through I saw Stephanie and Javier waiting for me. That was comforting, my new support team. We to our gate, I got to ride the train!!! That was wonderful. I love that train.
Starbucks was ok; I used up the last of my Starbucks cards that had been given to me for Christmas and other gifts. (a perk of being a teacher) Once on the plane I fixed my eyes on Mt. Rainier. It was beautiful with the pink and orange sunrise shining on. I began to cry. (I did that a lot)
By the time we arrived in DC we were all hungry. We walked the stretch of the airport and found our last fast food experience, Wendy's. Spicy chicken burger seems to be all our favorites.
DC to Brussels was a long flight. It was the biggest plane I have ever been on! The window seat was mine again. Looking out the window again was my escape from the brave Rachel face I had put on. Tears yet again filled my eyes. (are you seeing a theme to the flights?)
Javier and I watched "Where the Wild Things Are" it was a good movie for the mood I was in. Stephanie across the isle kept looking at us asking if it was really that funny, it was.

Feb. 3
In Brussels Stephanie and I wanted a shower. Javier thought that was very weird. He joked and said that he doesn't hang out with people that showing in airports. We told him to get used to it. We found our gate and washed our hair in the sink. It was very refreshing! Walking to the gate I saw a face I knew. We made eye contact and I didn't think I just said, "Gerald Bates". Stephanie and Javier looked at me weird. Bishop Bates stood and walked over. He said you must be Rachel. Wow not only was I chatting with the Bishop but he knew my name. He and his wife were traveling to HAU also. (why didn't anyone tell us? not sure) He will be at HAU teaching for 3 weeks.
When we entered the plane we found our seats, next to a screaming baby. As boarding time went on we noticed that the plane, same size as the last one(sorry dad not a Boeing plane this time, it was Airbus) had only about 50 people on it. The middle isle, having 4 seats made great beds! We were so tired from the flights.
I tried not to sleep but my body won. (note written while on the plane after the nap).
I just woke from a nap on the plane. I dreamed that I was going somewhere far from home. I woke up refreshed and comfortable. I knew at that moment that I was in my bed and this whole thing (being my journey and preparation to Africa) was just a dream. I was now waking from it. But then I realized that I woke up because of the bouncing, the turbulence of the plane. I heard people speaking in French and realized that my dream of being home was over. I sat up to put on my seatbelt and saw the TV screen. We were flying over the Mediterranean Sea, just about to fly over Africa. Many times on this trip I have told myself that I can't go back, but the truth is I can. At any point in time I can fly to SeaTac. I am choosing despite my tears and fear to stay. To keep pressing on towards what I have been called to do.
Before arriving at Buja (aka Bujumbura) Stephanie gave us some pointers on how to get a visa and go through customs. This was helpful. Getting off the plane first thing I noticed was the puddles on the tarmac (yes Sarah we walked on the tarmac). The next thing I noticed was the humidity. It was very hot!
Exiting there were all of the American missionaries were there to greet us, it was very awkward. We waited for the Bishop to arrive; it took a long time because our flight was early.

Feb. 4
We woke at 4:30am; lots of jetlag. Breakfast in the Kirkpatrick wasn't until 7:30 so walking around the campus filled our time. In the afternoon we went to town and bought food for the week. The cold shower was nice then to bed.

Feb. 5
Craisins, a gift from the Lord. They were very good with breakfast. Stephanie, Javier and I played cards and then we went out with the Vibberts. They took us to the house they are house sitting. It is right next to the US marines house. Then we went to Lake Tanganyika. It was a fancy club, lots of Americans and Europeans, a weird experience. There are hippos and crocodiles in the lake and so we only put our toes in, the locals were swimming though. Every Friday night the missionaries go out to dinner. We went to a Chinese restaurant. Yes you read right, Chinese. The day was concluded with a cold shower, great conversation with Stephanie and putting on the mosquito net (this has become a habit, I like it very much).

Feb 6.
Today we made breakfast. Stephanie made Starbucks coffee and scrambled eggs, Javier and I peeled the potatoes. I made them into hash browns. We then had a meeting with LaCharity about culture and dos and don'ts. It was very helpful.
Lunch... ham sandwiches and carrots.
Then more games.
We are feeling trapped here because we don't know how to access the mini bus system or get around town. This will come with time. When classes start and we have things to do we will feel better too.
More later.
We left Javier behind and went for a walk in the neighborhood outside the walls. It was nice to get out, but scary at first that we didn't have Javier with us. My fear subsided after a few steps. There was nothing to worry about. The streets were filled with curious people. Children and teenagers would shout out, "muzoongoo, muzoongoo" (how it's pronounced in English). Stephanie and I were happy that they let us know that we were white people, just kidding. We aren't sure how to respond when they say that. Stephanie will point at them and playfully say, "Burundian, Burundian". We did have a national geographic moment towards the end of our trip. A group of women and their children were sitting against the wall just down from the gate. They were asking us for food. A few women lifted up their shirts to show their
sunken bellies. They slapped them and then motioned putting food into their mouth. We had nothing with us to give them so we moved on. Leftover Chinese was for dinner and then off to Bob and Laurie's house for a movie night. All the missionaries were there. It was about Livingston and Stanley meeting in Burundi. It was projected against a sheet hanging from the bookshelf. Laurie, who makes at least one batch of cookies everyday if not more, offered cookies and kettle corn. Stephanie and I were very tired and almost fell asleep during the film.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel glad that you updated your blog. Glad to know that you knew you could get back on a plane and come home but you didnt I'm proud of you. e-mail us we have questions. I LOVE you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woops, I should have said Mama J. on the earlier comment. I will e-mail my questions to you. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Ruth here and Kyle: Thanks for the honesty on the trip. We've been praying all week. Glad to hear some info. Loved to hear the flying over Med. Sea to Africa! I remember flying over Lake Superior eating my salad lunch on a plane (Aldersgate College days). How fun for you.
    What do they serve for meals at the Kirkpatrick ? Hall? Also is it named for Charles Kirkpatrick. We know them. The missionary group sounds fun. We're preparing for a church Valentine Party. Praying for you all, Stephanie, too. Love Aunt Ruth and Krew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crazy Cat Lady...

    Glad you made it there safe and sound...I plan to send a letter to you this week so we can test the mail system.

    Lots of love from both of us!! (and a chicky buffer hug)

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you made it there safely, now start having fun... :) For whatever it is worth it is cold and damp here... Hey will you have a regular address there? Can we send things along like coffee and such? Frank & Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- the way you write makes it easy to visualize what you are experiencing. Keep it up. Did you get them to separate their trash yet? Start a compost? (you are your father's daughter, you know!) Who knew Craisins were a gift from the Lord (tee hee)!! LOVE YOU sweetie:) Aunt Val

    ReplyDelete