Thursday, January 14, 2010

12/25 Journal Entry

I'm very tired, I can't sleep and this is the third night of this, I feel like a little child waiting for Santa to come. I lay in bed excitedly thinking about Burundi. It all started 2 days ago with an email from the treasurer at Ballard FM. She told me my total on fundraising. I calculated in a few guaranteed pledge donors and realized that 50% of fundraising was done. $10,000 has been raised. PTL He is good. I had trouble falling sleep that was night 1.
Night 2 started with a trip to visit some Burundians who attend my church. A friend invited me. She helped them out when they first came to Washington. When we entered their apt. there were 2 other men there. The one I knew said, "You going to Africa right?" I said yes. He smiled. I was so glad that there were 3 Burundian men there. They were chatting with each other in Kurundi the whole time. The son of the man who's apt. we were at translated conversation that was specifically directed at us. I found it difficult to follow Grace and my conversation in English with the smaller children because I was listening to the Kurundi conversation/ As I was listening I heard them say inzu (house in english). I said. "house". He said, "house, inzu, right?" The men seemed scared that I understood what they were saying. I reassured them I wasn't secretly eves dropping. I had no idea what they were saying. Through the course of the 2 hours we were there I picked 4 Kurundi words out of their conversation.
I was so encouraged by this. I haven't even been to Burundi yet and I can pick out words I've been working on. Pray for more language growth.
I loved being with them because I also picked up on cultural things. Eating, family dynamics, clothing and house keeping. They had a video of a choir singing playing as the sound track. I'm seen youtube videos of this choir but now I got to ask questions. Why do they do that, is that common and my all time favorite question, What is that.
Night 2 was just so exciting. I lay in bed replaying the evening. Tonight I'm having lots of fun replaying these two nights in my head but today there is a twist to the excitement, I'm thinking about me in Burundi. Me going to the market buying fresh fruit, visiting friends nearby, visiting and singing with the students of HAU. Being able to meet my American friends that are in Buja but have never seen or talked to in person. I think alot about Stephanie. I miss hanging out with her. I miss working side by side with her and debriefing our days frustrations and joys. That will be one of my favorite parts about being in Burundi, my roommate.
To um it up I'm excited beyond belief. I don't understand why I was so scared. This is going to be great fun. I don't want to have to wait I want to go now. 38 days is too long. Lord give me patience and let me sleep tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel.. it is amazing how much has changed in these short 8 months or so from when you first told me you were going to Africa. God is good on taking us down the path one step at a time. Don't ever forget that He is the one guiding your steps... especially during the difficult times. He is in control and He loves YOU... so do I :)

    ReplyDelete