Saturday, September 22, 2012

Week 2, lots I learned


I have learned so much in the last week. Most importantly, Story time is a must!!! I spend more time reading stories to them and teaching through them than I do teaching at the whiteboard. They come in from playing under the hot sun and they are so hot and tired that all we can do is sit and read a story together.
The best lesson this week was off the cuff. I asked a student to grab a book off the shelf, “Good Morning Sun.” I had them sit at their tables. I explained that they could put their heads down if they wanted to and just listen. By the end of the story we had learned all about the sun rising, setting, shadows, and more. I was amazed that even though the sun shines every day they don’t know that much about it. Story time turned into journal writing time. The prompt, “The sun…” There were so many different pictures drawn and things dictated to me to write about.
What a great lesson. I, we, needed a good time of quiet learning and work.
Looking forward to next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment