Monday, April 2, 2012

Elementary School


I am volunteering at a private Christian British elementary school in the first grade. The boy I came to work with has been placed into this school with my support. He has settled so well into the class that it has freed me up to help the school as a whole. It’s been a joy to work with fellow Christians who care about education and the next generation.
It took two months and lots of help but now the 3,000 volume library of children’s books is now organized and every book is labeled. I have ten 6th grade library helpers who I have assigned shelves to. I am also showing the teachers how to supplement their curriculum with books about the topic.
I was able to lead one of the weekly assemblies for the 3rd-6th graders. I acted out the gospel from the perspective of Peter’s little sister watching Jesus’ life. There were four 6th graders who came up to me afterwards and wanted to know how to make Jesus their best friend forever. Very exciting. From this I have been asked to lead a Christian Union (club) for the 5th and 6th graders once a week. There were so many that responded that the club will run 6 groups of 10 students each running 3 different days a week. The club will be question driven and the questions the students have turned in already are exciting me.
Right now we are on Spring Break for two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment