Monday, April 30, 2012

Can't Find Food


Now doesn’t that make a girl feel good? No not really.
I’ve been in Burundi long enough to know when something is a compliment even when it doesn’t sound to my American ears like one. Today I was informed by an older Papa from Congo that I was small. I didn’t know if he was speaking of the time I had been spending on the Hope campus was small or if my physical body was getting smaller. He clarified quite clearly for me. “You look like someone who can’t find food.” Thanks papa. In Africa having enough food to eat and gaining weight is a good thing. If I didn’t know better in my American eyes I would have taken this as a compliment that I was loosing weight, but my time here and they way papa explained it to me…I was…papa sure knows what to say to make a girl feel good… or not

No comments:

Post a Comment