Monday, September 13, 2010

Swimming

late July
Karen and Laurie wanted to go swimming and I begrudgingly went along. I really don’t like swimming; even in the Buja heat it doesn’t tempt me. I think it was too many times of Adam holding me under the water as a child.
We drove to 3 different pools before we found one that was open. The pool was huge and packed with little children. We were told that in 15 min the adult swim would begin. So I went on a walk. I found a soccer field filled with children. I sat in the grandstands to watch. I think that it was a PE class or something. There were so many children on the field!!! I counted 27. It was great to watch, nothing like PE soccer in Kent. These kids could play! I was so impressed by their skill with the ball and how they passed to each other. It was great to just be alone for a while and think, even though there were people all around. My thinking spot was found out by the driver. He came to inform me that the pool was ready. Super, I was thrilled.
Karen was the first in the pool. She said the water was cold. I was even more excited about this swimming endeavor. Laurie was scared to get in. I knew I couldn’t climb in but had to jump in, just like going into Lake Meridian. All at once, no hesitation, get it over with. It wasn’t cold at all. I was pleasantly surprised. 5 min later Laurie finally joined us. Karen swam her laps. I hugged the wall and Laurie did a little of both. My foot did manage to find a rusty pipe; after we put a bandage on it. Good thing I got a tetanus shot before I came ;) In the end I’m glad I went, perhaps Laurie and I will go again. That time I’ll hug a wall without a rusty pipe.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you made it through swimming without anyone holding your head under water. ;-) How nice to find a quiet spot to think and reflect- sometimes it feels like my head is underwater all of my life until I get that chance to come up for air and breathe a bit, and sort things out!

    ReplyDelete