Monday, September 13, 2010

Living Museum aka The Zoo

July 22
There is nothing like going to the zoo to make my day. Karen, visiting from Michigan, and I decided to head for the zoo here in Buja. I really enjoy hanging out with Karen. I have to say that she might be one of my favorite people . We got to the zoo and there was a girl, about 6 years old, screaming at the top of her lungs. When I looked around and assessed the situation I realized that there was a chimpanzee, bigger than her just walking around the grounds trying to climb up on people. The officer who was with her had picked this screaming girl up to try and comfort her. The girl successfully climbed to the top of this man’s head in hopes to escape the chimpanzee. And this all before we paid and entered.
It didn’t take long to figure out that these three girls were sisters and spoke British English. Apparently their father works in the government in Burundi and so one of his officers was taking the girls, who were visiting from London, to the zoo. After a few more visits from Tina, the roaming chimpanzee, the screaming girl found me as a safe person to be with. We traveled the whole zoo together, hand in hand. Zoos are great to visit but there is something to be said for seeing animals through the wonder of a child’s eye.



1 comment:

  1. Ok, that chimpanzee is hysterical. What a dramatic flair she has!

    ReplyDelete