Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Rocket Stove


 My father has many wonderful qualities and skills but the one I admire the most is he research. He is always looking into new ideas and how better to do things. When I was younger it was Mother Earth News, when I went to dance lessons he would spend his time at the library researching healthy eating, there are always articles, books and websites on canoe building, kayaks and of course camping. Since I’ve moved to Africa my father’s research has changed to very practical things that help my life here. And now I have finally done something about all his hard work! We made a rocket stove!!!

Isaac and I gathered bricks and did our best to put together a stove that resembles a rocket stove.

The trick with the stove is to place a barrier between the bottom 2 layers of bricks but not pushed all the way in to block the chimney. This barrier goes in to hold the wood up so that the air can enter the stove at ground level and then go up the chimney. It produces less smoke and cooks faster.




It was great seeing the children abandon the old, three stone cooking “stove” and cook only on the rocket stove.

Thanks Dad!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yea Dan. You are doing great for your daughter and son in love. Anything to make the missionary life easier.

    ReplyDelete