Monday, January 3, 2011

1/3

It’s amazing how illness slows productivity. Alice and I have different things but bed was where you could find us most of the day. Randy went to a funeral of a friend. I finished my book. The second one I’ve read since I came here. I started another one and now I’m half way done with the third. And for those who know me know that that is huge. It’s amazing how enjoyable reading is here and how much time I spend doing it. But when the power is off and the sun disappears at 6 what else can you do? Randy informed me at dinner that my Congolese lover came to call on me. Sunday morning “the man”, as I have nicknamed him, came walking up the drive. ( I informed Randy the first day we arrived that he was going to be trouble for me.) I was washing dishes with Randy and I informed him who would be at the door. He went. I overheard the conversation, “Is Rachel there?” Randy came in and I told him that I would only go if he would be my body guard. Randy chuckled and agreed. “The man” had a book for me. He had drawn household items and written the Swahili word next to it. After explaining the book he explained the importance of knowing Swahili while working and living in Africa. The awkwardness was over and he left. I was grateful that the Congolese don’t hold the Burundian custom of shaking hands before and after conversation. He left without caressing my hand, I was grateful.
In the evening I worked some more on the master plan/map for the proposed special education school. It’s looking good. Sleep. Hopefully tomorrow I will get some meds for this pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment