Sunday, January 2, 2011

1/2/11

What a lovely day. I woke up with no pain. Washed dishes after breakfast with Randy while we waited for Alice to finish getting ready for church. We went to a brand new church, Jerome’s. The floor was still dirt and no windows or doors but very well constructed. The breeze blew thru so nicely.


I stole a baby right off the bat. After about a half an hour she started grabbing me and I could tell what she wanted. I diverted her attention for a good 5-10 min but the inevitable happened; she began to fuss. I knew she wouldn’t be calmed so I returned the stolen girl to her mother.


It wasn’t 10 min later that I had group of 6 little ones on my right. My chair was placed a foot and a half from the wall. The children made a nice line along the wall. It was so cute. During the talking I shushed them, but during the singing I encouraged them. One song was in Kirundi. I didn’t know it but I recognized some words and picked it up quickly. It was on of those songs, I had to dance. I couldn’t be confined to my row; but I didn’t want to join the dance in the front of the church and leave the children. So I went to the back. I called them over and we had a great dance session, well I danced and they just jumped. They are still too young to know the art of the Congolese dancing. Although one boy had a wicked air guitar on a later song.
Just before the sermon started the mean usher with the stick came by and told the children to get  With no translation of the sermon what was I to do with no children to keep me company. I was also concerted because if the children are forced to leave they wont’ pick up on Biblical truths from listening, even if they are little. At the end of the service another song started. I turned around and saw some of my “friends” I motioned for them to stand. They did. Then at the closing prayer I turned, folded my hands and squeezed my eyes shut. I opened them a crack to peek at my friends. Every eye was closed and hands were clasped 
After church and after lunch my stomach started to hurt. We went to the beach anyways. Lying on the bed or on the beach didn’t matter to me. I didn’t take into account the 20min drive over very bumpy roads. I was in pain and wanted to vomit! By the time my stomach settled down we were back in the car on our way over the same bumpy terrain. I washed off the lake water and crawled into bed.
My hosts were concerned that I had eaten so little today, but I couldn’t eat even if it was my favorite food.

No comments:

Post a Comment