Saturday, October 31, 2009

She held my hand!!!

Yesterday I walked into the Marston's house. Two small girls met me. They began to speak Kurundi to me. I took off my shoes and hung up my coat. The oldest, about 3, took my hand and began to swing it. I knew I was welcome. In Burundi if someone holds your hand that means they like you or want to be your friend.
We went down stairs where the meeting was going on. I turned the corner and entered a room packed with black faces and a language I didn't know. The conversation stopped as soon as they saw me. I was asked to introduce myself. I began to speak and a video camera spun around to look right at me. They sat quietly until I said that I was going to teach at Hope Africa University. Then the comments went around the room. The man that seemed to be the leader said, "You are welcome" two or three times. Then the meeting continued. I found a seat in the back of the room and the little girl that greeted me at the door came and sat by me.
I heard a few words that I recognized, but didn't know the meaning. That excited me that I wasn't in Burundi yet, but I could pick out familiar Kurundi words.
The meeting closed and they stood for prayer. I helped the little girl off the chair. While they were praying the girls began to talk. I leaned down to them and quietly said, "numa". That is one of the words that I first learned, it means "be quiet". They looked at me with a curious look, but they quieted down.
The man who seemed to be the leader was the Director of Revenue and Customs for Burundi, Ezechiel Nibigira. He also was part of the first graduating class of Hope Africa Univ. He was the one that everyone came to hear, including me. When the meeting broke up a few of us stayed for dinner. I spent my time picking up on cultural norms I watch the speed in which they ate, the topic of conversation they had, and how they talked to different people.
At the end of dinner the Director's wife, a recent graduate of Hope Africa University, grabbed my hand and walked with me to the door. She told me that I had to come and visit her when I got to Burundi. I told her I would.

Walking into my parents house after the meeting I opened the door, my mother was in the kitchen, I blerted out, "SHE HELD MY HAND!!!" My mom asked me if that was a good thing. I explained to her that that it very good.
It is good to know that I have a friend waiting for me in Burundi.
I'm very excited to see what the Lord will do when I am in Burundi.

No comments:

Post a Comment