Tuesday, September 8, 2015

When in Rome, do as the Romans

When I was young I was always told, be careful who your friends are, you might end up like them. The power of association goes beyond just doing things like those around you but sometimes there are no other options then to follow suit. In this case I'm grateful for the healthcare I am able to access for my babies.

We went for a check up at the hospital where Isaac works. The boys were put in these "swings" and hung on a scale. Then they had to get a shot that is not offered in the states, the BCG. We ended up waiting quite a long time because the shot is given to newborns so the nurses were within the maternity ward giving out the shot.
The nurse told me that the shot wouldn't give a fever but would blister and scar the skin. I remember when I was teaching in Burundi and was reading a book about scars. The children started pointing out their BCG scar. It was funny because you could tell where a child was born depending on where the scar was found. Burundi and Rwanda, on the forearm, Kenya and Uganda on the shoulder. India and other Middle Eastern countries, no scar because they didn't receive the shot. My boys have now been marked as Ugandan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment