Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Eye Doctor & Translator For the Day


There are two Cibitokes in Burundi. One is a neighborhood in Bujumbura, which is about 10 minute walk from Hope Africa University. Then there is the Cibitoke province, which is like a state within Burundi. It happens to be a 2 hour drive from Bujumbura. The visitors I was with found out the difference between the two yesterday.
I was invited to travel with some short termers to an orphanage that was “not far” yesterday which was good because I had things to do in the afternoon. But once we past the airport and headed on the road out of town I started asking questions.
We traveled along the well paved road, wide and freshly lined seeing the country side. This is the first time I’ve been to the west side of the country. There were parts that reminded me of my time in Kenya; dry with scattered trees and bushes. Other parts were dense with foliage. We drove to the top of a hill and entered a walled compound. Inside were 5 houses and a large gathering room. There were also 15 beautiful little children to greet us. The children, who are orphans, live in family groups of 6 children per house with one mother, most were widows themselves.
The team that invited me to come was a group of doctors. So I turned into a doctor for the day. I helped with the eye exams. I gave the “What letter is this?” exam to all the children while others were checking their hearing, health and also the adults.
At the end of the day I was thinking about the time and I was pleased by my language skills. Most of the day I was able to communicate not only what I wanted to say but also translate for the doctors what they were trying to say. God is good to me. With no formal Kirundi training He has granted me vocabulary and a heart to learn this language. Thanks God.

No comments:

Post a Comment