Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Opportunity to Go to School

I have not seen a boy so excited in his life. Sammy’s joy is overwhelming. I asked him yesterday if he was happy about starting school with me. A grin filled his face and an emphatic nod moved his head up and down. Anyone could tell he was excited.
Every day for the last few months Sammy has seen his brothers and sisters go off to school. And every day Sammy is reminded that he is different. Sammy doesn’t get to go to school. It breaks my heart to think that this boy desires so much to learn, yet in Burundi there is no opportunity for him to attend school. Sammy is one of the many students who have fallen through the cracks. If Sammy’s disability was greater he would at least be able to attend the only center in the entire country that serves people with severe disabilities. But Sammy is too smart for that. His needs would not be served. If Sammy was higher functioning he could attend one of the schools run by internationals such as the British or Belgium schools which focus on individual performance and education. But Sammy is stuck in the middle. He is lacking access to education yet with my coming to Burundi Sammy now has a teacher. Sammy also has an opportunity, just like his siblings, to attend school.
Starting tomorrow I will teach my first day of school and Sammy will attend his first class.
Thank you to those who have given finances, prayed for, and supported me in coming to Burundi so that Sammy, and soon others like him will be able to attend school.

No comments:

Post a Comment