Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Village Doctor




Being the only doctor in a village setting the patients come without notice. I can't blame them because the need is so much!
Even in my busy schedule I remember what I swore in the Hippocratic Oath stating that the health of my patient would be a priority.

Waiswa had severe prolonged fever, cough, and shortness of breath. His mother brought him to me after they had gone to the health center for treatment but still with deteriorating health. He had been given medicine for malaria but upon a check up I realized he had pneumonia. I prescribed medicine and a few days later he was a happy little boy.




Wound care is so important in a community that is prone to infection.
Teaching the children how to care for their own wounds is an important start to changing a community.



It's amazing to see Yusuf getting better each time we visit him. In April I found him with severe heart failure, a heart murmur that could be heard from a distance, and high blood pressure, shortness of breath, and pitting edema of the lower limbs (swollen legs). I diagnosed him and bought him medicine.

Upon a recent check up I found that his heart murmur and edema were gone. We bought more medicine to continue to stabilize his blood pressure.

The women of the town were talking about a baby who was born blind. A few hours later the mother and baby were brought to me for consultation. Again without an appointment. The woman traveled for an hour on the back of a motorcycle taxi, baby in arms, once she heard that their was a doctor in the area. She wanted to know if there was anything that could be done.  After a quick review I noticed the boy was born with no eye balls, an extra finger, a congenital hernia, and many other issues.

The need is so great! I wish I could help every patient.

1 comment:

  1. So so sad. So glad you are there Isaac you have a Godly heart.

    ReplyDelete