Monday, September 14, 2009

My life, like reading a novel

You might not know it by hanging out with me or even being in class together, but I have a learning disability. I have very little working memory which make reading and processing information very hard. This leaves me with a 5th grade reading level. Reading was always a challenge for me but now that I'm out of school and I can take my time I'm finding that I really enjoy the stories.
I like to sit and read a book little by little. This gives me time to process what I have read and think about it. I feel that this Burundi trip is unfolding the same way I read books.
I am so excited about going to Burundi right now and it's not because of Burundi or what I'm going to do there. I'm excited to see what is on the next page, what God is writing next.

I pick up a book only after I know it is going to be a good one. I don't want to waste my time struggling through the pages if I'm not going to enjoy reading it. With this trip I only agreed because I was going to be able to work with people who have disabilities, which is my favorite thing to do. I didn't know what I would be doing specifically while I was there or if there would be anyone in Burundi with me. I was all alone and feeling lonely about going, but I knew that God wanted me to go and I was being obedient.
Then plans started coming together, things I would have never thought to plan. Just like the books I read, there are always turns along the way that are unexpected.
For the trip I now have a job description, people to travel with, people to work with while I'm there, and some serious support from people here in Western Washington.
I now want to go not to help, which sounds weird, but to see what God has in store for the rest of the story. I'm hooked to this novel that is my life and want to know what is on the next page. I want to see what He is going to do next.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, we're excited to be reading along with you through this thrilling page turner you and God are providing us with! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! For not being a reader you write really well. Excited for your journey as well.

    ReplyDelete