Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rat, Mouse, or Cockroach...you decide

I cannot describe to you how great it makes me feel when I wake up to the sound of something scratching through my suitcase one foot from my head. Another amazing sound I love to hear in the night is the high pitched buzz of a mosquito flying around my head. Last night I had the privilege of having both sounds. First was the scratching from the rat, mouse, or whatever it was. Then there was the same sound across the room on the shelves that hold our clothing. I sat up with a start sitting in the middle of the bed, Stephanie behind me, still sleeping. The fight or flight reaction was going crazy in my body. I could hear my heart beating, I was looking around in the darkness franticly and I couldn’t think. I felt trapped under the mosquito net. I wanted to grab my flashlight but it was two inches from where the sound was coming from. All I could do was sit in the safety of my net. I looked at my watch (it lights up, thanks fam) 1:00am. I laid down and heard that faithful sound of the mosquito. It took my mind off of the scratching. I went in and out of sleep for a while, and then the scratching came again 2am. Stephanie needed to be informed this time. She was sure it was a cockroach. I was so encouraged by this. Sorry Wesley and Nathan but the time you spent holding the rats didn’t prepare me for wild rats. I’m sure it is because I’m still not sure what cockroaches really do still. All I know is that they crawl around and accidentally fall on their backs and I find them in the morning in my room. I can deal with a cockroach in my room. I fought with the mosquito for a while then fell asleep. 4am again with the scratching. I jerked away hitting Stephanie in the process. I apologized, rolled over and fell asleep. Tonight we are going to make some changes.

3 comments:

  1. I have had the pleasure of waking up to the SAME SOUND many times. Of course, knowing that there were rats hiding out behind the closet in my bedroom always made me automatically assume it was one of them... and until I turned on the light and realized it was just a cockroach I would struggle falling back asleep.. of course that is usually when I turned the music on louder or put a sermon on to listen an forget about the noise.. ;) Love and hopefully you'll be able to sleep much better tonight..!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read your messages and blogs---the pictures are a treat! I love yo an dam so proud of you--doing the difficult thing for the Lord. tonight I will be praying for you! God, protect my birthday buddie from cockroaches, rats and things that go scratch in the night. Se ther mind at peace... and may she rest knowing You will be her protector.
    Thank- you Lord for going with Rachel to Africa :)
    Love you girl!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my favorite verse for when we go backpacking. It comes in handy when things go scratch in the night. Receive the peace He has for you!
    Psalm 91:9-10 "If you make the Most High your dwelling—
    even the LORD, who is my refuge-

    then no harm will befall you,
    no disaster will come near your tent."

    ReplyDelete