Wednesday, March 3, 2010

New Month New Experiences

“Wow this feels like home. It’s so normal.” I was walking up to the Vibbert’s Student Center the other day and this thought popped into my head. It’s not the first time I have had this thought. Don’t get me wrong this in no way is Seattle. I’m coming to the realization, just as my dad said, that there are certain qualities about life and a place that make it home or make it feel like home. I’m not sure exactly what they are but friendly people, knowing your surroundings, good friends you can confide in, and crazy neighbors might be on that list. Perhaps it’s that I can let my guard down. I don’t have to worry about safety, getting lost, or not being cared for. Yesterday I ventured out from the safety of Stephanie’s arm. Maybe this was because I want to belong here at HAU, not just be a visiting professor. Stephanie and Javier went to town to get on the internet and I went to choir practice. The announcement in Chapel was that those who wanted to be part of the worship team or just want to come together and sing were welcome. I totally fit in the second category. I miss my GC!!! (I find myself drawn to a church service not for the message but the one with lots of singing.)
The meeting started at 1:00pm so I wondered over there at about 1:10pm hoping that I would not be the only one in the room when I arrived, well I was the 4th person. The others were the leaders of the group. The one who greeted me at the door was the man who translated for chapel so I knew that I could converse with him in English. I asked a lot of questions about the choir and made sure I was not just welcome but allowed to join. (Culture says, everyone is welcome but not everyone is desired to be there. I’m figuring this out) To my joy I was not only welcome but they really wanted me there. In the process of waiting for things to start I was asked by 2 men if I was single. Well the first one had more class and asked me how long I was going to be here and then asked where my husband was. Even though the charm I knew what he was fishing for. Yes mom, I was wearing the ring but it didn’t help. Oh well.
I figured out that choir practice is every Monday at 1 and we sing for the Bible study on Tuesday at 1. Sign me up. They were singing all the songs in English. I was sitting next to one of my students (he’s a really good student so “student teacher hang out during choir” shouldn’t be a problem) I asked him if they were only singing songs in English because of me. He said yes. I told him I wanted to learn songs in French, Kirundi, and Kiswahili, he laughed. It helped that I knew all the English songs we sang. The leader was having difficulty with the English pronunciation on one song and he said, “Rachel knows it.” He proceeded to bring me up and have me lead it. Not what I was expecting at all. The hall was great. I could hear my voice echo though the hall with the voices of the choir under me. Wow it was a great sound. I was glad when the song was over and I was allowed to sit back down.
At the end of choir I was told, not asked, that I was going to lead that song on Tuesday. Super scary! I must have looked it because the leader said that I shouldn’t be worried and that he would be there to help. I’m encouraged by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment