Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Blue Bench

This is my favorite bench in all of Burundi. I call it the Blue Bench. Back in 2010 I would leave the comfort of my apartment and take a seat on the Blue Bench greeting people as they passed. This bench became the place to make friends. People would just greet me and pass by, others would stop and sit. Many would take the opportunity to practice their English skills. Others would chat about culture. I learned many Kirundi words and culturally appropriate behaviors while sitting on this bench. This was also the bench where I first told him that I loved him. 

Today thought it is the International Bench. 
Sifiso, on the far side, is South African. Frenzdi, sitting in the middle, is from Haiti. It doesn’t matter how far away from the bench I live, it is still my favorite bench in all of Burundi.

No comments:

Post a Comment